Patients Services Co-ordinator x 2
Reports to: Patient Services Lead
Hours: 20 Hours
Provide general assistance to the Practice Team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
For operational reasons, this role requires availability and flexibility to work a combination of shifts between 07:45-18:45 on Mondays – Fridays, and 08:00-10:00 on one Saturday morning per month.
- Receiving and directing patients on arrival.
- Dealing with requests and enquires for appointments, cancellations, home visits, telephone triage and general queries, in person or via our website and on the telephone
- Processing and distributing incoming/outgoing mail in an timely and efficient manner
- Keeping up to date with new instructions and information distributed via our internal intranet system GP Team Net
- Processing of workflow via our clinical system in accordance with practice procedures and protocols
- Recording messages for doctors, nurses, managers and other clinicians effectively and accurately communicating them as appropriate.
- Filing and retrieving of medical records as required
- Ensuring the reception and the waiting area are maintained to a high standard of presentation, ready for colleagues taking over the next session.
- Ensuring colleagues are fully briefed on any relevant information and unresolved issues
- Ensuring all notice boards and administrative files are kept current and relevant
- Chaperoning when required (full training is provided)
- Processing of scanning, filing, patient registrations and/or deductions.
- Prescription processing as per practice protocol
- Dealing with routine enquiries from patients in a polite and professional manner at all times
- Action Practice tasks and other administrative tasks within the practice.
- Provide reception cover for annual leave/sickness etc.
- Ensuring building security – have thorough knowledge of doors / windows / alarm
- When working on a late duty, clearing the kitchen areas and locking up
- Any other tasks allocated by managers
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & Safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the Implementation of Services, the post-holder will:
- Apply Practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate